Saturday, October 15, 2011

Potty Training

I hate to admit this, but I am having a heck of a time with this potty training thing.  There are some days I think Blake is really making progress and then the next day it is like we are starting all over again.

I have tried pull ups, which he just saw as another diaper.  He had no problem just going in them.  I tried having him in big boy underwear, and on a good day I might only have to change him twice, but lately we go through several pairs.  I even tried no underwear, and that really didnt work, he would just pee all over the place, like an untrained dog.

My mom suggested throwing cheerios or fruit loops and letting him aim for them in the toilet, or putting blue food coloring in the toilet so when he goes in the potty it would turn green.  Basically making a game out of it.

As of right now, I am taking toys away if he goes in his pants and giving toys back if he goes in the potty.  I have tried rewards and punishments and it really seems like nothing works.  I am really thinking Adalynn might be potty trained before him.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am really sick of changing a nearly 4 yr old.

1 comment:

  1. Leslie--you could always set a timer and every half hour or so have him go to the bathroom. Or maybe make a Potty chart and let him put a sticker on it for each time he goes and reward him somehow for a certain number of stickers. My son potty trained at 3 years and was surprisingly easy. Izzie is fine during the day but is rarely dry during the night!! Good luck--it can be a lot of work and be stressful, but once he's potty trained, you'll feel like you can do anything!! = ]

    ReplyDelete