Monday, November 7, 2011

Making Chilren mind without losing yours

I have posted in previous post about having issues with my four yr old son and following rules, well after a terrible and embarressing session with Blake's therapist, my wonderful mom bought me three books to hopefully help with Blake's behavior. 

The first book I read was titled making children mind without losing yours.  It is all about giving children choices and letting them deal with natural and logical consequences.  So I have been applying some of the theories with Blake, and today at his therapy session I won a mini-battle with him.

Normally when it is time for Blake to walk in his class, he says "NO" and runs all over the place and I end up having to physically drag him into the class, and then he usually ends up giving his teachers a hard time too, but today when his teacher decided it was time to start and I could see it in Blake's eyes that he was about to start his normal game of lets embarress mom. I calmly told Blake, " Blake, you can either sit next to me in this chair, quietly, or you can go play some fun games with Ms. Lindsey." Blake looks at me, and says I want to sit by you.  I said ok, but we are going to sit here quietly while I read my book.  Well he wasnt in his chair for 30 seconds before he was asking to go play with Ms. Lindsey.  He walked in the classroom all by himself and didnt give his teacher as much trouble. So it was a big step for Blake and it allowed me to see that all is not lost with him.

So I am now reading my second book entitled The new strong-willed child by James Dobson.  I am hoping my the time I finish all my books and apply the techniques that I will have a well behaved little boy that I am not embarressed to take out on outings with me :)  Fingers crossed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment